About Stephanie Dowrick
* Writer * Public speaker * Social commentator * Spiritual activist * Retreat Leader * Interfaith minister
Through her writing and teaching, Stephanie Dowrick, PhD offers significant encouragement to our personal psychological and spiritual development as well as to our collective wellbeing. Her particular skill is in anticipating and responding to the key social, spiritual and psychological questions of our time.
Her focus is on: the challenges of living safely and compassionately * ethics and self-responsibility * how to live an inspired and inspiring life *recovery from emotional limitations * religious understanding and cooperation * contemporary spirituality * inter-religious understanding and pluralism.
Stephanie is that rare writer who combines psychological insight and training with a compassionate social analysis and an inclusive spiritual conviction. She describes herself as a “spiritual activist” who uses writing, teaching and listening to others as the main source of her continuing exploration of the “most meaningful questions – and how we should live them”.
In Stephanie’s books and articles there is a particular emphasis on the key qualities of insight * compassion * forgiveness * generosity * kindness * recovery * social and spiritual inclusion * peacemaking * emotional intelligence *moral intelligence * spiritual and psychological transformation.
Stephanie has also written two novels, and a great deal about creativity including Creative Journal Writing and her recent highly acclaimed book on the modernist visionary poet Rainer Maria Rilke * In the Company of Rilke. Her most recent books include Seeking the Sacred, called by Claire Scobie in the Sydney Morning Herald, “A chalice of wisdom”, and Everyday Kindness.
Stephanie Dowrick has the rare distinction of having written five No.1 best-selling books, while also making a significantly original research contribution in her fields. Her books have been translated into a number of languages.
What Stephanie Dowrick does:
- Writes thoughtful reader-focused books and talks about their socially relevant themes in national and international forums.
- Speaks in a variety of settings including Breast Cancer Network Australia * school staff groups * professional development * professional development for counsellors * psychotherapists * religious leaders * spiritual seekers * positive psychology.
- Offers spiritually inclusive services on a regular basis at Pitt Street Uniting Church Sydney Australia * spiritually inclusive retreats at Mana Retreat Centre, Coromandel, New Zealand * spiritually inclusive retreats and workshops in Australia and elsewhere.
- Contributes to leading newspapers. Contributes regularly to ABC Radio.
Stephanie Dowrick’s acclaimed books include Intimacy and Solitude * The Universal Heart *Forgiveness and Other Acts of Love * Choosing Happiness * Creative Journal Writing * The Almost-Perfect Marriage * In the Company of Rilke * Seeking the Sacred * Everyday Kindness
Her past achievements include founding the prestigious London publishing house * The Women’s Press * where she was Managing Director from 1977-1983.